Old 31-08-2003, 04:02 AM

Default Poor Growth

"Akvaristen" wrote in message news:uY34b.306662$Ho3.43088@sccrnsc03...
I have a 48" Hellios fixture with 110W (2x55W) White 7100K and Actinic Blue
12000K. The tank was setup early January 2003. The tank is 48"x19"x14".

Akvaristen

Yuck.
Try the 5000K or the 6700K. An atinic is no good for planted tanks,
it's a deeper water coral bulb. The 12K might be okay but I'd change
the 7100K for sure.

You KH, CO2 and pH need work. KH should be 3 or higher.
Your water is very odd. Not many tap/tank waters are of this types.
Lots of Ca/Mg but no HCO3/CO3. Sometimes we fine high KH's but no
/little GH's with water softners etc.
Generally, if there is high GH from Ca and Mg, there's often CO3
associated with it, limestone/coral reefs/shells/dolomite and many
other minerals are CO3 based and dissolve.

Double check the KH again with another kit.
Also, the CO2 system you have is adequate for perhaps a 20gal/76L tank
max, the tank you have needs more CO2, but.............you need to
have about 2-3KH or higher to use CO2 well.

See www.thekrib.com for CO2 info and look at the pH/KH/CO2 table.
Try and understand how to use it.

This will _greatly_ enhance the plant growth once you figure this out.

Regards,
Tom Barr