Old 31-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Rod

Default Brushcutter - 2 or 4 stroke?

"David Harby" wrote in message ...
I have used a Honda 4 stroke for about the past 5 years without any problems. It still starts well.
An important consideration for me is ease of use. Ask the dealer to let you try handling the machine as some
are much more comfortable to use than others. My Honda has 'cow handles' which I prefer if I am using a strimmer

for long periods but some people tell me they find them uncomfortable and prefer both hand grips on the shaft.

I was told that the Stihl is a Honda engine so not much to choose between the 2. Looking at the new Stihl catalogue
after I posted here last night it seems Stihl are going over to a strange hybrid called '4mix' - 4 stroke engine
running on a petrol/oil mix like a 2 stroke. I think I'd like to hear more experiences of those before I bought
one. Most of the main makers of serious strimmers include both kinds of handles in most sizes so get a demo.
Type of engine is not really a major consideration for most people, much more important is how it feels in use and
how well it does the job. If it comes from one of the major makers like Stihl or Husqvarna you don't need to worry
about durability.

Rod