Old 31-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Gail Futoran

Default Final Report - The Grand Tire-Gardening Experiment (LONG!!)

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message

Final Report - The Grand Tire-Gardening Experiment

August 31, 2003

[big snip]

I loved reading this. It's so practical and I like
recycling.
I'm going to be putting in a raised herb garden and might
think about using tires for that, something that I would not
have considered before reading your post. The one potential
problem:

5. I question whether the tire-planters would be

beneficial
in extremely hot and dry places, such as the deserts in

the
American Southwest, or even in extremely hot (but not dry)
places (Florida comes to mind). There's no question that
the soil in the tire-planters gets warmer than it would on
the ground. This is an asset in our area but would be a
disadvantage in very hot places. Mulch could probably go

long way towards alleviating this, as would painting the
tires white.

I live near San Antonio TX and typically we get hot summers.
This year has been relatively cool, so I've watered raised
rose beds only once per week; other summers I've sometimes
had to water several times per week, and I use soaker hose
covered in mulch, so water isn't wasted.

My new herb bed is going in behind a fence, so aesthetics
won't be a problem. I might try your idea of painting the
tires. I really really like the idea of not spending money
and having to do cutting/drilling on wood for raised beds.
Been there done that!

Anyway, you have given me a lot of food for thought. Thanks
for your detailed report.

Gail