Old 01-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Peter H

Default Looking for a Child/Pet safe fertilizer weed care.

"John T McDougald" John wrote in message
I have been reviewing the Scott's plan for my area, Central Florida.

have for the most part a combination og Bahia and St Augustine but I think

have at least one other variety or more mixed into my lawn. I was looking
at using the MaxGaurd fertilizer on my lawn but I have a dog that likes to
run around in the back yard and in December, my first child will be born

so
I have a couple of years to get the yard ready for football, baseball and
the like with the little one.
My delima is that I know that fertilizer/ poisons are going to have
warnings but is there something out there that is better than Scott's or
Ortho?

Thanks
John T McD.

I haven't checked in a while, but the last time I looked there were no "
poison" signs on a bag of fertilizer. Fertilizer is made from nitrogen,
phosphorous and potassium. These substances are all contained in your soil,
to lesser degrees, before the fert is applied.

There is potentially "some" danger when you get into the newer "organic"
products. In my opinion these products are very poorly regulated and I would
stay away from them. I would never spread sewer sludge or the like on a lawn
where children play. Stick to the what they now call " synthetic "
fertilizers and you will be fine.

When it comes to weed control you should be aware of a couple of things.
Firstly there are some kids who are allergic to it. From personal experience
I suspect the numbers to be less than 1 in 1,000, but they do exist.
Secondly, contrary to what the " environmentalists " will tell you the
product will biodegrade very quickly on your lawn. 2 weeks after application
it is unlikely that any evidence of the product could be found.

You can have both a safe and good looking lawn John and your kids can have
years of fun playing on it.

Good luck with it.

Peter H