Old 01-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Black Eyed Susans

Holy Pimlico, Batman!!! Holy Seabiscuit, Robin!!!!

Most people here in the USA automatically think Rudbeckia hirta when one
says "Black-Eyed Susan" and that is most likely what the poster meant in the
first place. Still we have absolutely no idea where Rick actually is on the
planet because he never said.

The South African annual Thunbergia alata is called "Black-Eyed Susan Vine"
and is not as well know in the USA as is native Rudbeckia hirta. In fact,
the common name of the former is in allusion to its flowers superficially
resembling the latter!!!!!

Still, the bottom line is that common names are worthless.

paghat wrote in message
news
In article 1g0m60l.e9vnxvw5tnz1N%00senetnospamtodayta@macunl imited.net,
(Jim W) wrote:

Rick wrote:

We would like to have black eyed susans in our yard. Do we buy plants

or do
they come in seeds? When is the best time of year to plant. Thanks...

Assuming you mean Thunbergia, (orange with black 'eyes' at the centre)
They are easy to start from seed providing it is warm enough. Here in
London they don't really take off until the temp gets up near to 20 C

Sow in spring in ordinary pots of seed compost.
//
Jim

Well now, there's a perfect example of why not to post common names only.
I automatically assumed Rudbeckia, not Thunbergia!

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/