Old 01-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Monique Reed

Default Slaters - Any Danger?

Down Under On The Bucket Farm wrote:

Hi there,

Around here, there are a fair amount of slaters,
also called rolly-pollies, pill-bugs, sow-bugs

While these little guys usually eat decaying organic matter, they can
be terrible pests of seedlings. They will show up en masse and eat
things right to the ground. I start seeds outdoors in a sheltered
area and have to put the flats up on a table--if I leave the flats on
the ground, everything gets eaten. I also have to be very scrupulous
about turning the mulch pile, raking up drifts of fallen leaves, and
getting rid of places they like to hide. They're awful. I wish
something would eat them!!

Monique Reed
College Station, TX