Old 02-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Pelvis Popcan

Default Black Eyed Susans

For most people where I live, "Black Eyed Susan" means Rudbeckia
Goldsturm.

These only propagate through cuttings. So, the best way to grow them
is to buy them potted from your local nursery. A few plants will
quickly multiply over the years. They can be planted from pots into
the ground any time of the spring or summer.

There *are* seed packets available that say "Rudbeckia Goldsturm" on
them, but what these are is a strain. They are Goldsturms hybridized
with other species so that viable seeds are produced, so what you get
are mixed Goldsturm hybrids. In my experience, these plants are
usually pretty small and don't flower that much the first year. The
flowers themselves *resemble* Goldsturms, but are not the same thing.

Annual vanities such as "Glorissa Daisy" were first bred in the 1950's
by Burpee seed. They grow 2-3 feet tall and have lots of nice great
big yellow flowers. If you like to plant seed, I recommend Glorissa
Daisy.

"Rick" wrote:

We would like to have black eyed susans in our yard. Do we buy plants or do
they come in seeds? When is the best time of year to plant. Thanks...