Old 31-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Cookie

Default pond in winter

Hi Tom, My pond is 2200 gallons..this is my 7th winter with it. It's about 5
feet deep in center. I thought I could get a rest from pondkeeping in the
winter but no such thing. I had to pull the hose out of the basement right
before it got real cold and add an inch of water. I am glad I did that
because if my waterfall stops then my pump will freeze. Hopefully the warm
weather will defrost some of the ice......Cookie
"A thing of beauty is a job forever!"

I live just north of Detroit, MI zone 5/6. My pond is 650 gallons and 2' at
it's deepest. I turn my waterfall / stream off before freezing temperatures
arrive. I'm afraid that the stream could freeze and drain the pond.

My solution is to use a small aquarium air pump. Right now the hole that was
kept open by the bubbles has been frozen over for 15 - 20 days but the pump
is still working. The air escapes somewhere. When the temperatures rise the
hole will reopen.

Being in zone 4/5 I would have made the pond at least 3' deep. How deep is
your pond and do you know the gallons?