Old 03-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Racf

Default DYI CO2 generator and cloudy aquarium

"S.Holmes" wrote in message
Hello all.

I decided to try a DIY CO2 generator (soda bottle, yeast, sugar) in my
aquarium (about 63 gal). I used a valve preventing aquarium water

siphoning
into the bottle. What about the other way round? How can I prevent

yeast
mixture from getting into aquarium?

Couple of days ago the aquarium became very cloudy. I suspect the

contents
of the generator somehow made its way to aquarium, although the level

in the
bottle remained unchanged. How can I check if some yeast really got

into
aquarium? What are other possible reasons of cloudiness?

TIA

This question comes up with some regularity for probably a good reason.
My own opinion is that alcohol is also being added to the tank with the
CO2. I suspect the cloudiness may be bacteria feeding on the liquid
sugar.

If you can borrow a hang-on little UV unit, and it clears up real
fast...then I would suspect its bacteria.

Cloudiness could be a lot of other things as well. Some fertilizers in
reacting to the tank chemistry can cause Calcium Carbonate to
precipitate out of solution, which is a very fine white powder.....and
does not dissolve very easily back into solution. CO2 content of the
water is a major player with Calcium Carbonate solubility. Could be why
cloudiness is noticed when you started changing CO2 content in the
water. Some experimentation is needed to isolate the specific offending
issue.