Old 04-09-2003, 11:00 PM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] Banyan style Ficus

Jeff,
One the trees need to be old enough to form aerials. Two, I would suggest
setting up a plastic enclosed area to keep the humidity high. Open the tent
every few days to keep fungal problems down, but seal it back in an hour or
two. Or three, pack moistened sphagnum moss around the trunks and branches
that you would like to sprout some aerials. Wrap this in plastic and keep it
moist at all times.
One of these two should work for you.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
I have a couple of Ficus trees that I'd really like to develop into banyan
style (with air roots), but for the life of me I can't seem to get any
started. I've read that you can get them by 1) Keeping humidity high, 2)
Keeping light low, 3) Combination of 1 & 2, 4) Feeding with Super Thrive.
Now that summer is almost over here, I'm looking to set up my grow room and
I'd like to optimize at least one area for the Ficus trees. I realize I'd
do much better by moving to a tropical area and growing them, but let's
pretend that's not a option. What can I do with a combination of outside in
a very short summer and inside during the rest of the year? Any help here
would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++