Old 05-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Why is Banboo so expencive?

That's because suckers have to pay big time for being so naive.

The so called "lucky bamboo" isn't a bamboo at all and its lucky only for
the unscrupulous vendors who are getting away with selling it to the
gullible.

The plant is Dracaena sanderiana native to tropical west Africa (not the
orient) and has absolutely nothing at all to do with feng shui.

Andrew Ostrander wrote in message
I was in Thailand about 18 months ago and the "lucky bamboo" was expensive
there too. I also wonder why.

"AnonnyMoose" wrote in message
I'd like to know why it's so expensive too. Different varities are

selling
from $40 to $100, and over, around here and it's just grass, for crying

in
the beer. If you can get something like black bamboo on E-bay for $40

I'd
say it's a bargain!
karen

"Heidi" wrote in message
Because it is trendy.

Frou frou "garden" shops (S&H, etc...) are banking on people who don't
really garden, and who don't know better, to buy up trendy lucky

bamboo
and inflated prices to put in a vase for indoor decoration. It became

hot item with the fung shui movement. Now you can buy lucky bamboo
inside wal mart (not the garden center--the home decor isle), or at

the
airport.

It's the same reason gourmet cooking stores sells butane at $12 for a
6oz bottle right next to the kitchen torches. These stores know that
people who shop there don't shop around for better deals.

Heidi

Dave wrote:

Why is Banboo so expencive?

From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and move it

and
it
will begin to grow. I can see pay $5-$10 for some but paying $19-$40

on
ebay is out of my price range.
Is there something I don't know about the high price? Please advise.

Thanks,

David