Old 05-09-2003, 07:18 AM
Jane VR

Default Giant Tomato Tree

Norman wrote:
I wish to ask your advice. In the current issue of "That's Life" on page 18,
there is an advert for a "Giant Tree Tomato" . I think its for seeds only.
Its got a cartoon type picture of a tree shaped bush covered in tomatoes
which it says weigh from 500 grams to 1 kg each. It says the bush grows to
approx 9 feet.

The price for 2 seeds is $9.90 plus $3.50 for postage and handling, and for
6 seeds $21.90 plus postage and handling.

I am interested in your opinion of the value of this offer.

I don't know facts about it, but my gut feeling is there's something
wrong. I think the stems would break under the weight, for starters. And
a punnet of tomatoes from the nursery, looked after properly, will give
you more tomatoes than you can eat anyway.

As someone else said, it could be a tree tomato. I've never seen the
fruit anywhere near that size, but 3m sounds right for the bush. They
take a bit longer than tomaotes from seed, about 18 months. They don't
taste anything like tomatoes. Eden Seeds sells a packet of 35 seeds for
$2.50.

HTH
jane