Old 05-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Frogleg

Default New to composting

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 08:58:45 GMT, "Compostman"
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:11:05 GMT, "Compostman"
wrote:

don't breakdown very well.

I think it depends upon how one composts. I live in the city with very
limited space. So I compost in bins and turn very frequently. And tear
things apart with my hands or a grinder. Egg shells look like eye balls,
even 6 months later. So I dry them in the oven, grind them in a blender,
and put them around plants such as hostas. I certainly don't recommend
throwing them away. And the birds could get them, which is another
beneficial use of egg shells.

Try this: rinse the eggshells, turn upside down, and let dry. Then
crumble by hand and add to your compost. At least they won't look like
"eyeballs," and you won't have to use your oven and blender(!) to
recycle.