Old 06-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Roy

Default Why is Banboo so expencive?

I have whats reffered to around here as cane....I guess its in the
bamboo family or maybe it is actually bamboo, I dunno, it does get
pretty thick in diaeter (biggest I have around is about 4" or so) and
it gets pretty darn tall. I can't keep it cut back and it grows wild
and fast. It gets to be a problem on the edge of the field as when you
bush hog it down the remaining stalks are notorious for giving a
tractor a flat tire once tghe stalk stumps dry. They look great as a
large thick screen, but soon take over the place.

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 13:52:23 +0100,
(Jim W) wrote:

x-Dave wrote:
x-
x-
x- Why is Banboo so expencive?
x-
x- From what I herd is grown very easily, just divide some and move it and it
x- will begin to grow. I can see pay $5-$10 for some but paying $19-$40 on
x- ebay is out of my price range.
x- Is there something I don't know about the high price? Please advise.
x-
x-Depends what you mean by 'Bamboo' there are many many different species
x-of plants known as bamboo. A lot of the Phyllostachys (the Black and the
x-Golden are the commonest) have been made very popular by TV gardewning
x-programs and retailers are thus cashing in.. Here in London you can pay
x-about 60 quid (95USD) retail for a medium pot (about 40 litre) of
x-bamboo.. I managed to find a pot for 35 and split it into 2 and that
x-was a reasonable prices given the costs around here.
x-The rarer types bring a higher price range even from mail order
x-suppliers.
x-
x-Phyllostachys species are also relativly slow growing in this country.
x-Other types are not and are invasive!-)
x-
x-//
x-Jim

--