Old 04-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Dan

Default Bottom Drains and Empty Ponds

My bottom drain empties into a settling/veggie pond and is pumped from there
into a bio-filter where it falls back into the main pond. The pump intake
from the settling/veggie pond is above the bottom of the main pond so I
never risk emptying the main pond. Over this winter, I had a leak somewhere
in my underground plumbing and my water level did drop but when it got below
the intake of the pump, the pump just shut off.

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...
For those of you with a bottom drain...how do you protect yourself against
emptying your pond if there is a failure somewhere upstream from your

bottom
drain? Originally I was going to sit my pump on a shelf to protect against
this, but now that I plan to have a bottom drain, I am concerned. I am
routing my water to a veggie filter that may or may not be attached to the
main pond via a stream. If it is, I am concerned with the stream getting
blocked and emptying my pond. I am seriously considering not having a

stream
and routing the water back via pipes to prevent this.

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.