Old 06-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] Banyan style Ficus

Randi,
Any plastic bag will work. I have not used kitchen wrap but a cleaners bag
or any baggie would work.
I wrap everything that you would like to have an aerial in sphagnum. It does
not matter if you do it separately or not. Live or dried sphagnum is OK.
Do not put this in the sun. Use dappled shade or in the house under lights.
In 60 days or so you should see roots through the plastic. Keeping
temperatures in the 60-90šs will be best.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
Jerry,
In your suggestions on developing aerial roots for ficus you mentioned:"
...pack moistened sphagnum moss around the trunks and branches that you would
like to sprout some aerials. Wrap this in plastic and keep it moist at all
times."

What would be a good source of plastic? Cut apart zip-lock freezer bags? Or is
a small mil plastic better? Would plastic kitchen wrap be OK? Is there a
better source? Also I imagine I need to wrap each branch and truck separately
rather than in mass.Is this correct? should I wrap the trunk and each branch
separately? Should the moss be "live" spag. moss? Since I am in zone 7 is this
a summer project or will I also get results in the house under lights?

Thanks,

Randi Sharp

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++