Old 07-09-2003, 06:45 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Dendrobium keiki?

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 22:35:42 -0400, John DeGood
wrote:

I purchased an unknown variety "Klassic Beauties Dendrobium Orchid"
today for $3.75 from a clearance table. I repotted it in fresh spaghnum
(it was originally in a cylinder of decomposing wood.)

There are roots growing around the circumference of one of the
pseudobulbs about 8 inches up. Is this considered a keiki?

I posted photos at http://home.comcast.net/~jdegood/orchids/.

Can I cut the pseudobulb just below the roots to create a separate plant?

John

It appears to be a keiki above the leaf. If it is you can gently
grasp the area above the roots and twist. The keiki should snap
free from the mother plant quite easily. It should come off as
easily as a twist top on a pop bottle.

Then both plants can be encouraged to bloom this year... well
maybe next spring or next year. Good luck.
SuE