Old 07-09-2003, 07:05 AM
S.Holmes

Default DYI CO2 generator and cloudy aquarium

Thanks to everybody who answered. The cloudiness disappeared as unexpectedly
as it appeared, so I think that after all the yeast was not a culprit,
probably some outburst of bacteria growth.

Thanks to Kelly Johnson for the advise with the second bottle. I recall
seeing a picture somewhere (at a www.thecrib.com most probably). Next
weekend I'll do this just to be on the safe side. As to on 2 l soda bottle
being not enough: maybe, but I see a very positive effect of it nonetheless.
I'll probably try to add the second bottle anyway.

Again, thanks to everybody who took time to answer.

"S.Holmes" wrote in message
Hello all.

I decided to try a DIY CO2 generator (soda bottle, yeast, sugar) in my
aquarium (about 63 gal). I used a valve preventing aquarium water

siphoning
into the bottle. What about the other way round? How can I prevent yeast
mixture from getting into aquarium?

Couple of days ago the aquarium became very cloudy. I suspect the contents
of the generator somehow made its way to aquarium, although the level in

the
bottle remained unchanged. How can I check if some yeast really got into
aquarium? What are other possible reasons of cloudiness?

TIA