Old 07-09-2003, 07:03 PM
Heidi

Default OT Squirrels Flipping Out

They may have been worshiping a deity, but I think it is more likely
that they were practicing for the upcoming Squirrel Olympics. The
gymnastics competition is extremely fierce. The russian squirrels,
under the guidance of Bella Traversetrees usually takes the gold, but
this year the US team is determined to beat them. While the gymnastics
competition will be tough, the US team is heavily favored in the car
darting slalom, drain pipe skeleton, and bird feeder--crack the code and
eat biathlon. Of course, its anyone's guess as to whether team mates
may be disqualified for the use of catnip or poppy seeds.

Heidi

Shiva wrote:

Now that we have had some cool weather (80s F daytime, 60s nights)
the chipmunks and squirrels and of course VOLES (grrrr) are out and
about more, and the squirrels are doing something really weird.

They dig out a little scooped place in the rose bed or at the base
of one of the big old oaks, then they leap like 3 feet up in the air
and flip when they hit the ground and flop around. They seem to take
turns doing this and wind up on their bellies with their tails sort of
laying down flat on their backs. They appear to be having a great time.

I have seen this before but it was in the spring and I attributed it
to mating behavior. But they don't mate in the fall, do they?