Old 07-09-2003, 10:02 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Looking for help identifying a tree, and methods to control sap (if possible)

Dennis Forbes schreef
Good day.

I have a tree in the front yard of my recently purchased house, and I
was wondering if a kind arborist out there could identify the tree,
and if possible tell me if there's any way to control the sap (or to
make it less tasty), or alternately when yearly I should expect this
sap. I don't mind the sticky residue covering the lane and cars, but
the many bees it draws is a bit of a concern.

I've put several pictures at
http://www.yafla.com/~dforbes/tree/index.htm.

Thank you for reading. Have a great day.

+ + +
It was almost unnecessary to actually see the pictures, but yes it is Tilia.
Maybe Stewart Robert Hinsley can tell you which species?

It is not the tree itself which exudes sugary solution, but the aphids.
As problems go this is a very well known one.
PvR