Old 07-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Looking for help identifying a tree, and methods to control sap (if possible)

In article , Dennis
Forbes writes
Good day.

I have a tree in the front yard of my recently purchased house, and I
was wondering if a kind arborist out there could identify the tree,
and if possible tell me if there's any way to control the sap (or to
make it less tasty), or alternately when yearly I should expect this
sap. I don't mind the sticky residue covering the lane and cars, but
the many bees it draws is a bit of a concern.

I've put several pictures at
http://www.yafla.com/~dforbes/tree/index.htm.

Thank you for reading. Have a great day.

It's a Lime, a species of Tilia. There is an American species [1], and
Bee-tree is used as a vernacular name for at least one variety of this.
However I think this is the European Small-leaved Lime (Littleleaf
Linden in American vernacular) Tilia cordata.

The flower bracts of Limes, as shown in the first picture, are
unmistakable. In most species the flowers are pendant, but in Tilia
cordata, and allied East Asian species, the flowers are borne at all
sorts of angles. In Tilia cordata the underside of the leaves usually
has a blueish cast. For my details on identification refer to my web
page - see sig. The leaves of many poplars are superficially similar to
those of limes; however poplars usually have no more than 3 veins
meeting at the base of the leaf, and limes have 5 or more. The habit of
the trees also differs.

The flowers of lime produce copious nectar, which attracts bees. The sap
that you refer to however is honeydew, the excreta of aphids. The sap
can occur at any time during the growing season, but tends to be later
in the year when aphid populations has built up. Google for Tilia aphid
control for possibilities for control. Limes are too big for techniques
useable on perennials to work, but if it's not too big, mechanically
dislodging the aphids with a water hose might reduce infestations.

[1] At one point many species (30?) of American limes were recognised,
but these have been reduced to one, very variable species.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.meden.demon.co.uk/Malvace...a/Britain.html