Old 07-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Noydb

Default New to composting

Allan Matthews wrote:

On 8/21 I posted about my compost bin and started a long thread.
Within 24 hours of filling the bin, the temperature 12" down in it was
140 F. There has been no objectionable odor and now the compost has
settled to about 50% of its volume. I have two 39 gallon garbage cans
full of very fine red oak shavings and when I mow lawn tomorrow am
going to mix the shavings with the grass clippings and fill the bin
again.. Due to all of the rain we are having here (southern tier of
NY State) I am going to remove it from the bin next week, stir it up
and put it back. Thanjs for all the info I got from the last post.

Sounds like you are off to an excellent start. I would suggest that you mix
in 1/4 (by volume) straw, 1/4 shavings and 1/2 clippings. Layer it to
measure and then turn it a couple times to mix it. Add water to moisten
during the final turning and you should be golden. I have found that the
straw allows for good infiltration of oxygen and that this makes a
difference in how long the pile is able to hold the higher temps.

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)