Old 08-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Cichlidiot

Default where to buy plants in Sacramento/Davis area

Chris wrote:
I have been to quite a few pet/fish stores in the area and the plant
selection is limited and the quality poor. I am looking for some low
light plants for a small aquarim. Anyone have suggestions for shops or
plants to sell? I would rather not have to buy online.

I see that you're from UCD as well. There's a place on 4th St in Davis
called Pet Cetera that usually has java ferns and crypts for fairly
reasonable prices. I don't care too much for the attitude of one of the
owners so I rarely shop there, but the plants (those mentioned above) I
got from them last year are growing like weeds. They're really good
species for Davis' hard water.

In Sacramento, there's Capital Aquarium downtown near the 99/80/50
interchange. I can't remember the exact address as I just know how to get
there, but do a web search and that should get you some contact info. They
have a whole row of tanks for plants, but there's not always a wide
selection. Strangely enough, the PetCo on Arden Way across from Arden
Fair Mall also seems to have a lot of plants. Actually found some
hairgrass there recently. First time I'd seen it in a store in the area in
a long while.

I'd offer you some of my java fern, but I've been battling green hair
algae for a long while. Davis tap water has a ton of fertilizers in it and
I got a plant with some algae and it went wild. It did sop up much of the
nitrates, but is rather unsightly and almost trapped my Cyprichromis
several times.