Old 08-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Chris

Default hard tap water

Thanks for the info. I have easy access to DI water, but it sounds like
it is not worth the effort of adding minerals back.

Chris

wrote:
Chris wrote in message ...

I live in the central valley in California, and we have really hard
water. It leaves calcium deposits on all the plumbing fixtures. How will
this effect plants? Should I mix tap water with bottled water to soften
it a bit? I haven't set up the tank yet.

Thanks,
Chris

Hard water is great for plants. So is soft.
Plants do not care, fish might(say Discus etc) but plants do great in
either soft or hard. I have not found an upper hardness limit on
either KH or GH. Some 250-300species grow the same in both. I've had a
variety of water types ovber the years.

Good CO2 will help the plants grow well.
FYI, Both Claus of Tropica(the Amazon) and myself(Florida and
California) have been telling folks that some of the best plant growth
occurs in hard clear waters.

Save your $ for a CO2 system, not RO/DI water etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr