Old 09-09-2003, 02:18 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Birds nest fern immersion?

"Chris Owens" wrote in message
David Hare-Scott wrote:

I have a large birds nest fern (Asplenium nidus I think) which I am
moving to a new property. The proposed new location is near a river
bank. This river floods from time to time. In a big flood the site
will go under water, local knowledge cannot say accurately how ofen

this
will happen or how long the water will stay up in such a flood. At

guess every 5 years and for about 2-3 days. The site will not be
subject to physical damage from the current or floating logs. I am
trying to assess whether this site is a reasonable risk or not.

My question is how long will the fern survive if immersed?

David

Probably not several days. Look at the bank where you propose to
plant this fern. How old are most of the plants, and are they
pretty much roots-in-water-tolerant? If it's less than the
timing of the last flood and / or yes, pick another spot for the
fern.

Chris Owens

Thanks to all those who replied. I have had it for 25 years and I would
hate to lose it. It's over 4m across and pretty well irreplaceable.

The fern is staying put in its current site until I can organise a spot
for it on the new place well above the flood line.

David