Old 09-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Moving shrubs now?

In article ,
(Manic Blue) writes:

(DaveDay34) wrote in message ...
| I want to move some verigaeted holly bushes (which have been in the
| same spot for over 5 years) and a ceanothus (Italian Skies) from my
| back garden into my front? Would the plants survive this or would I
| be wasting my time?
|
| Your Hollies will benefit from potting on as long as you don't disturb the
| roots too much, and water the pots once you've potted on. Anything you need to
| dig up to move should be left till winter (dormant) time.
|
| Thanks for the advice. Is that a general rule for moving most shrubs?
| It's a bit of a pain, as ideally I would love to swop and chop around
| now, as I have the spare time, but if it means waiting til the winter
| so all the shrubs survive, then so be it.

It is a good general rule. Also, unless you can get them out with
most roots intact, prune them back (assuming that they are prunable
shrubs). Holly should be OK, though it doesn't love being moved.

The ceanothus will probably die. I suggest buying a new one - they
are fast growing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.