Old 13-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Kelcey

Default Single hole in all of my red radishes, why?

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here in this group. The last vegetable garden
that I planted here in Honolulu, HI was when I was a little boy around
30 years ago.

Now, I am 37 years old and decided for the fun of reliving old
memories, I planted some roma tomatoes, bok choi, mustard cabbage,
white stemmed cabbage, long eggplant and the reason for my post, red
radishes.

I don't care for red radishes, but I read somewhere that they were
easy to grow and fast to mature and make an excellent morale builder,
since they develop rapidly, so I figured that if everything else
failed, at least I would have a good chance of success with red
radishes.

Perhaps it's not a problem, but all my radishes that I pull up to look
at have a single small hole about 1mm wide and goes into the body of
the radish about a 1/4th of an inch. I cut the radish apart, but I
can't find anything in there. At the end of the tube, I see a little
brown stuff, but nothing identifiable. Otherwise, the hole and the
tube is clean!

Is this a natural forming occurence? I figure that it may be, since
if it were a bug or worm or something, wouldn't there be more than
only one hole in each radish? I don't think insects would only alot
themselves one hole per radish.

Can anyone give me a clue as to these mysterious holes?

For my first time here, I find this group quite interesting.

Thanks!

Kelcey