Old 13-09-2003, 09:23 AM
About Dakota

Default How to keep plants down, and What is this????

RedForeman ©® wrote:
"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in message

RedForeman ©® wrote:

they have two 125's they keep in basement for all the inhabitants to stay
during winter months... he was going to heat the pond until he got an
estimate on the cost of it... quite high...

It is indeed unrealistic to heat an outside pond, in most places anyway.
However, most pond fish will easily survive the winter provided the

surface

of the water is kept from freezing. An airstone-type thing works for most
folks. Where is your friend located? A friend of mine here in Austin

covers

his pond with plastic in the winter and his tropical lillies keep on

blooming

all year round! I'll move my pl*cos to his pond for the winter once it

gets

cold around early December.

Eastern Tennessee... unpredictable winters, sometimes nothing, but other
times, we've hit -10, but we really average about 20dF during the winter,
but it starts in Dec., ends in March...

-10...must be tough...(don't worry, I'm just saying that because I have
BAD winters)

I like to have ponds, but in North Dakota, I have two problems: the
water gets too hot in the summer, and it's too cold in the winter. I
had two ponds, but now I have none. In summer, depending on the day,
the water could reach a temperature of 110, easily, with direct
sunlight. Two days later, the water might be 55 or 60. In the winter,
however, it is not unusual for a temperature to be below -30 for weeks
on end. After a while, I just became to frustrated to keep on doing it.
So now, what I sometimes will do (depending on the year), is put a few
fish (usually guppies or golfish) in a kiddie pond in a well shaded
area. I cover the top with poultry wire over the top to protect from
birds, and have snails in it to keep it clean. They have a steady diet
of insects, occasional worms, occasional catfood, occasional other
"treats", and they live just fine. I really wish that I could get back
into this on a real level. I just want everyone to realize how lucky
they are in terms of weather for this hobby.

AD