Old 15-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] hurricane preparation (was "yamadori" boxwood)

Alan Walker wrote:

Craig: When hurricanes visit you have two big problems: wind and rain. Rain should
not be too much problem if you use a quick draining bonsai soil. Wind, however, will
wreak havoc if you haven't made adequate or appropriate preparations.
Indoor storage is almost always a good idea with hurricanes. Under your
benches is almost always a bad idea. High winds will toss around anything which is
not anchored. Even a well anchored item may be damaged by other things being turned
into missiles, e.g.. branches, neighbors' lawn furniture, loose boards, shingles, etc.

Forewarned is forearmed! ;-)
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com

Thanks for the warning Alan. I don't know yet what we're going to have for wind, so I'll
just have to wait and see. Some of my trees are simply too large to bring inside, so
they will have to weather the storm outside. My smaller ones could come inside if
necessary. I could also put them in my winter storage area which is somewhat sheltered
if it looks really bad.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++