Old 15-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] hurricane preparation (was "yamadori" boxwood)

Craig: When hurricanes visit you have two big problems: wind
and rain. Rain should
not be too much problem if you use a quick draining bonsai

soil. Wind, however, will
wreak havoc if you haven't made adequate or appropriate

preparations.
Indoor storage is almost always a good idea with

hurricanes. Under your
benches is almost always a bad idea. High winds will toss

around anything which is
not anchored. Even a well anchored item may be damaged by

other things being turned
into missiles, e.g.. branches, neighbors' lawn furniture, loose

boards, shingles, etc.

EDMUND L CASTILLO wrote:
snip Ed Castillo (wondering how hard this week's hurricane

will hit the East Coast)

====
Craig Cowing wrote:
Yep. Waiting it out here too. Last thing I heard was that it

will hit the NJ
coast first tomorrow. I already have plans to bring trees

inside and stash some under
their benches if it looks like it will get nasty. Just have to

wait and see.
Craig Cowing NY zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Not tomorrow. Isabel should hit land Thursday night at about
Cape Hattaras, N.C. It should be in southern PA by Friday
evening and in the far northwestern tip of NY the next night and
at my guess little more than a lot of rain by then.

According to the Weather Bureau, Isabel is no where near as
defined today and may break down a bit more. It MAY still be a
major (Class 4) hurricane when it hits the NC coast, but . . .
Once over land, it will collapse rapidly.

So Craig hasn't too much to fret about.

For the best info on the storm, go he
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++