Old 15-09-2003, 11:02 PM
simy1

Default Sickly Dracaena marginata (indoors)

Coryadaurus Rex wrote in message .4.21...
I have a dracaena marginata. Normally, it had long slender green leaves
with maroon edges.

I had it in a low-light living room and it didn't seem to be doing to
well to me. It's leaves were drooping and there were quite a few red,
dying leaves. Also, it had fewer leaves than healthier ones I've seen. I
moved it to another room that gets a good amount of indirect light from
the southwest. In the past few days, it's been about 20 degrees hotter
than usual and brighter than usual. Now the draecana is doing worse. It
has even fewer leaves and a lot are getting yellow, than brown-red and
dying. The new leaves that sprout out of the top are dying right away.

You may just have starved it by keeping it too long in a low light
environment. 20 days is nothing, it would have keeled over regardless.
It is part of having houseplants - you will kill a few trying to
determine how low a light they tolerate. I killed one corn plant that
way - also a dracaena. Now I make sure they get good energy reserves
by leaving them outside for the summer, with some morning sun.