Old 16-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Dean Hoffman

Default bovine terms

On 9/16/03 4:45 AM, in article , "Felix
Reuthner" wrote:

Hello all,
i just stumbeled across a sentence that confused me quite a bit:
"The bull gets randy with a steer; when he mounts the steer with his
forelegs, a brave technician[...]"
( http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science...4153-2,00.html ).
I would have thought that "steer" is a castrated male. Not wanting to
judge the preferences of our bovine friends, but i find this rather odd
and i am well aware that you just can't trust the mainstream media once
things get technical. So can someone post a brief explanation of the
various terms for the different kinds of "cows"? Like bull, steer, ox
and others?

Kind regards
Felix

You're right. A steer is a young castrated male. These are usually
raised as beef cattle and put in feedlots in the U.S. An ox is a mature
castrated male, usually used as a draft animal. A heifer is a female that
has not had a calf. A cow is a female that has had a calf. A bull calf is
a young uncastrated male. A bull is a grown uncut male. I don't know when
if there is a hard and fast rule when a bull calf starts being called a
bull.

Dean