Old 17-09-2003, 03:37 AM
Shell91

Default Stanhopia Oculata Question

Haven't bought anything else from him yet. Usually I buy something small
from someone I'm dealing with for the first time then if it works out I'll
buy something else. I'm going to try and rig something to hang a nice
basket from so I can put the orchid with the others. I'm willing to be
patient and wait for it to bloom as long as I can keep it alive
Hopefully it won't be one that needs to be 5 years old before it decides to
bloom. The pot this one is in looks to be about a 3" pot so I shouldn't
have any problem finding a small basket for it. Thanks for the tip on over
potting, I'll be sure to get something as close to the same size as
possible.

Shell

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
.. .
how ironic Shell-I got one of these last week from the same seller. Did

you
get anything else from him?

It is a young plant, will need to be in a web pot or wood slat basket-
something that will allow for the flower to spike out the bottom of the

pot.
There are several stanhopea growers here- I'm like you, have 2 young

plants
and haven't seen a bloom. I do know they like to be kept moist and warm.
Seems to do better with lots of indirect light.
We will see who's blooms first- at least I can tell you to find a net pot
that is the same size- overpotting to big set my first plant back, and be
careful of the new growths.

"Shell91" wrote in message
y.com...
I have just gotten a Stanhopia oculata on eBay. I have been doing some
reearch on the web but I can't find anything on how old a plant has to

be
flower. Is it like most and needs to be several years old?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...y=42 218&rd=1

This is the page for the auction. Any opinions on the plant?

Shell