Old 17-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Kay Easton

Default Suspected Hedgehog droppings from a couple of months ago

In article m, Tim
Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"@?.? writes
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:43:02 +0100, Kay Easton wrote:

They'll eat dried cat food, but put a bowl of water nearby. Don't give
them milk - they can't digest it easily and it's bad for them.

I've been avoiding milk for wild animaly anyway. Why would they be able to
digest milk anyway? Hedgehogs are rarely seen suckling at cows' udders. ;-)

You can also try dried fruit.
Avoid the fish flavoured tinned cat foods.

Right, thanks for the tips Kay.
Dried fruit is something I'd never heard of before as an option.

One youngster we had to pass to the local hedgehog hospital developed a
passion for bananas.

It'll help
stop the local cats getting interested.

Make a tunnel 4 inches high and put the food under that. Upturned
cardboard box with hole cut out of side and weighted down with a brick
will do as a temporary measure.

An interesting extra is a 'footprint detector' - cover a piece of card
with aluminium foil, use a candle to apply a layer of soot to one side,
and place the food on that. In the morning you will see lots of slug
tracks and hopefully some hedgehog footprints. And maybe other
footprints too.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: