Old 18-09-2003, 06:32 AM
Oz

Default UGA researchers use transgenic trees to help clean up toxic waste site

writes

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:13:28 +0100, Oz
wrote:

Do you ever give anything more than a moments thought?

Why are you defending GM "technology" yet again?

Don't you think that it is a good thing to detoxify slightly
contaminated sites?

Don't you see that allowing plants to "respire" mercury into the
environment might be a bad thing?

That depends on how much and how long and whether it has an impact or
not. I rather doubt the concentrations will be high, and may in fact not
be detectable in the wild. In any case I wouldn't be at all surprised if
some existing plants living on Hg contaminated soils do it already.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.