Old 18-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Penny Morgan

Default Drying Basil

You can pull the whole plant out and cut off the root area. If some of the
branches are thick enough, break them or cut them off. Then tie a string
around a group of them. I took about 5-6 branches and tied string around a
bunch on one end and tied another bunch at the opposite end of the string.
In other words, you have a bunch of branches hanging off each end of the
string. You can also use rubber bands to make sure it's tight enough and
doesn't fall out. You can hang the string over a shower rod and let it dry
naturally. I had natural light, but not sun hitting them. They will take a
couple of weeks to completely dry. You want to make sure that they crumble
and are not rubbery when removing the leaves. Otherwise, you will have mold
growing in a jar. Store the dried leaves in an air tight container in a
cool, dry place (kitchen cabinet works).

You can also freeze basil. I do this more than drying now. You can try a
few leaves and see what you think. Remove some leaves from the plant and
wash them in cold water. Leave them wet and lay them in a freezer ziploc
bag. They can be layered as thick as you want. Seal the bag and use a
straw to suck out the excess air (vacuum seal) so you don't get freezer
burn. Every time you need basil for a recipe, just crumble the leaves and
pour some in. The basil becomes brittle when frozen and by squeezing the
bag, it breaks into tiny pieces (perfect for recipes).

Enjoy!

We're getting pelted with lots of rain and gusting winds right now from
Hurricane Isabel. It's supposed to get worse in the next few hours.
Hopefully, we'll have power tonight.

Penny
Zone 7b - Raleigh, NC
"Allan Matthews" wrote in message
When I planted my new raised garden July 15, I bought a left over
withered basil plant and stuck it in. Now it is 2 feet in diameter, 2
feet tall and dense with leaves. How is the best way to dry
this?Thanks