Old 19-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Jim Webster

Default Social Responsibility & Agribusiness

"Martin Branson" wrote in message
om...
"Jim Webster" wrote
this depends purely on the legal system in the country where the peasant
lives. Argentina and Brazil produce considerable amounts of GM crops

from
saved seed and monsanto is not able to do anything but wimper

I am very interested in this, as my understanding is that Monsanto
compels those who use its seed to sign a license agreement prior to
delivery. There is some legal question as to how that agreement would
impact someone who might come into possession of the seed through
other means, but I hadn't heard of the exceptions you mention. If you
could direct me to any articles about that, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Monsanto can sign any licence agreement it wants, but unless the courts will
support it, the agreement isn't worth the paper it is written on. Also If
you were to sell me soya beans to feed my cattle and I then plant them, how
do you know and I haven't any agreement with Monsanto. And courts in
Argentina and Brazil seem reluctant to accept Monsanto has any right to sue
me. Similarly check through the Indian Press, there are a lot of Indian
farmers breeding their own GM seed
Jim Webster