Old 21-09-2003, 11:33 PM
Earnest Trawler

Default leylandii in tubs -feasible?

"Zipadee Doodar" wrote in message
I would like a six foot hedge to give me some privacy from my intrusive
neighbour, but am aware of the possible anti-social consequences of a
traditionally planted hedge which grows out of control. Is it feasible to
grow leylandii in tubs to restrict root growth and to make trimming height
easier by leaning the whole thing over? I can see possible problems of
stability in high winds etc, but on the other hand, if they are neglected

in
a tub, they cannot grow out of control.

This is a serious question, not a troll. I have a 5 ft ranch fence which

is
the pride and joy of my neighbour, even though it is only fit for
firewood. And he is always leaning over it like Chad.

ZD

It's quite possible to grow them in planters, I have seen a hedge done that
way. In large terracotta planters, the weight of pot and compost would keep
them stable in wind, lifting them would be the problem! Also it could work
out a bit expensive, planters big enough to get a dense six foot hedge would
cost more than the trees.

Earnest.