Old 22-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Franz Heymann

Default leylandii in tubs -feasible?

"Earnest Trawler" wrote in message
"Zipadee Doodar" wrote in message
I would like a six foot hedge to give me some privacy from my intrusive
neighbour, but am aware of the possible anti-social consequences of a
traditionally planted hedge which grows out of control. Is it feasible

grow leylandii in tubs to restrict root growth and to make trimming

height
easier by leaning the whole thing over? I can see possible problems of
stability in high winds etc, but on the other hand, if they are

neglected
in
a tub, they cannot grow out of control.

This is a serious question, not a troll. I have a 5 ft ranch fence which

is
the pride and joy of my neighbour, even though it is only fit for
firewood. And he is always leaning over it like Chad.

ZD

It's quite possible to grow them in planters, I have seen a hedge done

that
way. In large terracotta planters, the weight of pot and compost would

keep
them stable in wind, lifting them would be the problem! Also it could work
out a bit expensive, planters big enough to get a dense six foot hedge

would
cost more than the trees.

Since each tree requires one planter, the ratio of the price of the planters
to that of the trees is independent of the planting density. Having said
that, you are probably right insofar as the cost of the container might well
exceed that of the tree. But that is a problem common to all shrubs or
trees grown in "respectable" containers.

Franz