Old 22-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Franz Heymann

Default leylandii in tubs -feasible?

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Zipadee
Doodar writes
I would like a six foot hedge to give me some privacy from my intrusive
neighbour, but am aware of the possible anti-social consequences of a
traditionally planted hedge which grows out of control. Is it feasible to
grow leylandii in tubs to restrict root growth and to make trimming

height
easier by leaning the whole thing over?

I wouldn't have though it would be very easy. They are susceptible to
drought, so you would have to keep them watered.

You could try any other evergreen hedge. Yew is slow growing, but if you
have enough spare cash you could buy 6ft high plants to start with
(about 75 quid each IIRC)

Alternatively pyracantha, well chosen roses etc planted next to the
fence would hide the fence a bit and would discourage leaning over,
although it would be such an effective visual screen.

Kay, I presume there is an implied "not" in that last clause.
In that case, disagre with you about Pyracantha. I have a few of these
screening off my oil container in the garden. Within very few years, they
made an excellent 6 ft hedge which does not need to be clipped to topiary
perfection and gived the bonus of red berries in the autumn.

Franz