Old 22-09-2003, 12:23 PM
Victoria Clare

Default leylandii in tubs -feasible?

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in
:

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:

| Kay, I presume there is an implied "not" in that last clause.
| In that case, disagre with you about Pyracantha. I have a few of
| these screening off my oil container in the garden. Within very few
| years, they made an excellent 6 ft hedge which does not need to be
| clipped to topiary perfection and gived the bonus of red berries in
| the autumn.

I got rid of mine, because I was sick of pruning it. If done once
a year, it produced 6' shoots, 3/4" across at the base and with
1" spines which had no problems going through heavy leather gloves.
To keep it under control, it needed pruning 3 times a year.

My guess is that it would be BETTER grown with a restricted root
system!

Yes, definitely. I've got one growing in a strip of earth 6 inches wide by
about 4 feet long, trained against a northfacing wall. It needs clipping
once or twice a year, but is easy enough to keep in order - nothing like as
fast as the 12 foot monster I had in my last garden (which did indeed make
a decent evergreen screen).

I don't think the one-year shoots were ever 3/4" across though - maybe Nick
had a mega-vigorous variety, though I seem to remember I clipped mine
pretty regularly then, so I could take just the soft stuff off, not the
hard woody spikes. I had time to do that sort of thing when I had a small
garden...

Victoria