Old 24-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Tim Challenger

Default OT perhaps, but please identify amphibian or reptile

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 02:19:49 +0100, Joe wrote:

Hi

Thanks for your interest. I came across an unusual garden visitor last
night (22 Sept) and I am unable to identify it through any of my books.
It looks like a gecko, but I don't think there are any indigenous gecko
species in Britain. I guess it must be a newt, but is it? Can you
help? I loaded a couple of pictures he
http://www.harlon.pwp.blueyonder.co....en/ident01.htm
Many thanks.

It's relatively easy to tell a reptile and amphibian apart.
Reptiles have scales on their skin (can be soft as on a geko or hard as on
a snake or slow-worm or tortoise), whereas amphibians don't have scales.

It looks like a female smooth newt to me.
http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/smooth_newt.htm
and see the photo at the bottom.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.