Old 24-09-2003, 11:12 PM
NetMax

Default Determing light requirements...

"Dan Norgard" wrote in message
It would seem to me that the depth of the tank would be the determining
factor in lumens, not the gallons. ie: a 24 inch deep tank would

require
more light than an 18 inch deep tank even though both were 40 gallons.
Anyone agree or am I all wet? Excuse the drawing...
OO
/ | \
|~~/~~|~~\~~~~ |
| / | \ |

Dan

In http://faq.thekrib.com/plant-lighting.html , see:

When calculating the amount of lighting you will need there is a general
of thumb. First multiply the surface area of the aquarium by the distance
from the light source to the top of the gravel. Then depending on the
type of plants you desire multiply this by one of the factors given
below.

etc etc

NetMax