Old 25-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Martin Brown

Default OT Humming bird moths

In message , Sacha
writes
I'm delighted to report we have just seen *4* of these on Salvia involucrata
planted in a sunny border. I don't think there has been one day in at least
a month, when this plant hasn't been visited by these fascinating creatures.

Seems to have been a very good year for them and for lots of butterflies
in general. Most of our nectar bearing plants have been covered.

Sedum spectabile is pretty good for extending their season, but I fear
the last couple of nights with frosts may see them off.

Unfortunately humming bird hawkmoths are incredibly fast and hard to
photograph so I still don't have a decent image of one. The closest is
in focus but half way out of the frame

Regards,
--
Martin Brown