Old 28-09-2003, 06:42 AM
JNJ

Default pee in the pile

This info came from the master gardener's. Would think they know what they
were talking about.

That's a title one obtains primarily through volunteer work and a measure of
training, all the result of a government based program. They are no more
qualified nor expert than any of a number of other gardeners and they are
certainly not qualified as chemists or horticulturists simply because they
have completed an MG program. Programs are state sponsored and some are
absolutely worthless while others are great. You'll find that many of the
folks on this newsgroup are more experienced and knowledgeable than the
average MG.

Of course you don't line up strangers and have them pee
in your compost pile.

I would think not. Like I said in my post -- urine has been used for
centuries in a similar manner, however in days gone by there were not as
many chemicals in it so it was more "pure". Nowadays I wouldn't do it due
to the variety of chemicals and such in what we consume (healthy or
otherwise).

Compost piles do just fine on their own -- if you want to add the same
effect, just sprinkle some nitrogen and over it and you'll be fine. (Urine
also contains phosphate,calcium, and various other minerals for that matter
although I'd think it's the nitrogen you're after.)

Hey -- if you REALLY want to get gung ho about it, go get a composting
toilet or a septic system installed and go the whole nine yards. Ever
notice how green the grass is around a septic system's leach field?

Of course you don't pee in the compost if you have
AIDS either. Come on.

BTW, being HIV positive and urinating on the pile would be little different
than someone not infected doing the same.

James