Old 28-09-2003, 07:32 AM
Bruce Geist

Default get a pH controller?

Hmmm.
A controller adds cost, labor (setup, callibration) and risk to the

system.

It does add cost. However, I think it saves labor, and, while some argue
that it adds risk because the PH calibration can wander, in the 3 years I
have used one I have never seen my PH calibration off by more than 1 or 2
tenths of a PH point-- far less than the potential swing you can get when a
tank begins to dump and there is no controller. When you use a
controller, the CO2 flow does not need to be carefully set. You just get a
good flow going through your bubble counter, and let the controller take
over. That's it.

My PH controller happily deals with increases in CO2 flow due to end-of-tank
dump, which is something that happens at least once every 6 or 7 weeks in my
tank. Therefore, I feel my controller takes at least this risk out of the
system. I find it very convenient to use a controler for this reason alone.
In addition, the PH in my tank is rock steady all the time, even at night.
Fluctuation might not be bad, but rock steady isn't either. And, I always
know what my PH is, because the contorller is always displaying it, and its
always between 6.65 and 6.75. (I don't have to test the PH, another labor
savinigs.) Once every couple of months, I have to calibrate. This is a 10
minute process, and that is about all the labor associated with this device.

In short, if you can aford it and if you (like me) enjoy gagets, I say get a
controller. They're nice to have; I believe mine does save me time. I have
to agree that a controller is not absolutely necessary to maintain a healthy
eco-system however.

-Bruce

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~brucegeist