Old 29-09-2003, 06:02 AM
Arnim

Default get a pH controller?

Thanks Bruce. I did get the controller and am set up and ready to go. I'm
going to order a plant package online this week then hit my LFS for the big
planting next weekend. This has been a real project for just a 55 gallon
tank but I think I've obsessed so much that I'll be in pretty good shape:

1. I swapped out the 2' plastic hoods for glass tops and bid the online
auction for a compact fluorsecent fixture with legs and two 65W tri-phosphor
6700K bulbs (92 CRI).
2. I removed the slightly-too-large gravel from my two-year established
tank and replaced it with a 60:40 flourite/smaller gravel mix. This was the
worst part. I got the red fluorite and at points I couldn't even see the
fish in the tank. But patience, adding a little bit at a time, and several
filter cleanings did the job. I didn't want to rinse the fluorite too much
lest I lose all the good stuff. The fish are all fine though. I've also
got my fertilizer, iron supplement, and flourish tabs on hand.
3. I made a CO2 reactor with PVC and bio-balls and put it inline with my
cannister filter.
4. I rigged my 5lb. CO2 tank, solenoid, needle valve, bubble counter (all
online auction) to my new controller and everything works perfectly. All I
need to do is attach the line to the reactor to start delivering the CO2.
5. Oh yeah, and I read and read and read, and even went and talked to the
water treatment people in my town. What an education man.

Now I plant, attach the CO2 line to the reactor, switch on the lights, add a
little fertilizer and cross my fingers... wish me luck.

Arnim

"Bruce Geist" wrote in message
In short, if you can aford it and if you (like me) enjoy gagets, I say get

controller. They're nice to have; I believe mine does save me time. I

have
to agree that a controller is not absolutely necessary to maintain a

healthy
eco-system however.

-Bruce

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~brucegeist