Old 01-10-2003, 12:39 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default More weather changes

The message
from "Judanne" contains these words:

It is interesting, though, that Tassie, in this
winter, has seen the most rain and the highest winds in a long time. When I
first came here is was common to get still sunny days in winter most of the
time. Now its usually very windy and wet. Maybe one or two days of
sunshine per week.

Hi again Judanne.

The UK is seeing big changes too with lots of weather records being
broken. Last winter was the mildest and wettest ever; spring came very
early, this summer saw the hottest ever temp in S. England and has been
generally very warm and dry there; good year for arable farmers. Europe
has had such a hot dry summer, farm yields are a long way down there.

Scotland where I live, has had the kind of summer England usually gets;
early,pleasantly warm, not a lot of rain but enough to keep everything
green. Downside has been a big increase in large red stinging jellyfish
(Lions Mane) which have prevented us swimming in the sea all summer.

I see the North Pole is having its problems too, with a huge ice shelf that
has been there for many years suddenly collapsing and sending thousands of
tonnes of fresh water into the ocean. I wonder what that will do for the
plankton and other life around there? And, eventually, to the weather
around Northern Europe.

One of the worrying theories is that it may reverse the North Atlantic
sea currents. Without the warming effect of the Gulf Stream Scotland
could become cold tundra.

Janet.