Old 01-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Victoria Clare

Default say non to GM - Join the Tractors & Trolley Parade - Monday 13th October 2003 London

Peter Ashby wrote in news.r.ashby-
:

GM is simply the application of extremely selective, controlled genetic
change in place of non selective, uncontrolled genetic change which
characterises conventional crop breeding. We could argue about dubious
benefits for some particular applications of the technology, but that
does not mean all uses of the technology are bad.

I don't think bigboard said that all uses of the technology were bad, or
that food created from GM crops was dangerous to human beings.

Some of the applications to which the technology has been put so far seem
to me rather unimaginative and risky to things we'd like to protect.

We are not a subsistence culture. We do not need to grow GM crops in the
UK in order to feed ourselves, or to prevent economic collapse.

So, why not be cautious, in the way that so many previous introducers of
other plant varieties have not been? Late is better than never.

Victoria