Old 01-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Peter Ashby

Default Glyphosate & its side effects

In article m,
"" wrote:

Several studies have been done on aquatic organisms. However, low
concentrations of chemicals in the aqueous environment often can be
excreted by most aquatic organisms without adverse effect to either
themselves or the community in which they live. For these reasons, in
these studies, it becomes difficult to interpret the data. In
general, several studies reported that the increased toxicity of
Roundup is due to the surfactant (MON 0818) present in the
formulation. Evidence of the combined effect of glyphosate and the
surfactant showed an increasing effect to sockeye salmon, rainbow
trout and coho salmon. The investigators reported a 4.8 fold increase
in LC50 (for Roundup) as pH decreased from 7.5 to 6.5. The surfactant
was tested separately from glyphosate and found to be much more toxic
than glyphosate itself and even more toxic when combined.

Read that, think about it. Particularly the third sentence. Then if you
still don't understand the question we can talk about it. This is not an
answer to the original question. It may be a reason to look for lower
toxicity detergents for use with herbicides, but it is not an argument
against herbicides.

If you carry this to its logical conclusion we should be boycotting
Unilever for all that dishwashing detergent it sells to consumers
unaware of the incipient environmental dangers. After all, a good
scouring with sand can get dishes clean. But of course universal
replacement of detergents with sand scouring would cause unacceptable
pressure on sources of sand. Oh, the dilemmas of modern life.....

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.